No products in the cart.
Did you know that the food you eat can impact your productivity and focus? Unfortunately, there are a lot of things working against you! People tend to make unhealthy eating decisions based around their workday. We want to show you that you do not have to rely on these ready made meals or grab and go snacks. Why? Because there are so many healthy snacks for the office to both satisfy your cravings AND give you energy. This ‘and’ is why they are the better choice every time no matter your goal.
Healthy Snacks For the Office: The Basics
I think we can all relate to the ‘norms’: Ready made meals, grab and on the go snacks and a bucket of coffee. Let’s not also forget the birthday parties, after work drinks and general sweet sharing that goes alongside a typical 9-5 job. It doesn’t help that 90% of the time you are stressed and the other 10% bored and the solution to both is…well you already know. Before we show you all the great alternatives, let’s break down this notion of ‘healthy snacks for the office’ and look at some key points:
- Satisfying: Mindless eating is made worse when we choose snacks that are empty in calories. With zero nutrient value, your body is left asking ‘is that it?’ A number of things contribute to satiety so take note to look for fibre, protein and some whole foods on the ingredients list which you can actually recognise (i.e. Almonds instead of Bulking Agent (Erythritol))
- Balanced: It’s a fuzzy word but the idea is that you want a balance of the three major macronutrients: carbohydrates, protein and fats. In general, carbohydrates are the easiest sources of food to find in shops. As a macronutrient, there is nothing wrong with carbs, the problem relates to quantity and quality; a high carb snack (or meal) that is also processed can result in a sugar spike and subsequent crash in energy. With regards to the other two, protein is extremely satiating making it a great snacking option and good sources of fat also help to provide a slow and steady release. Which brings us to the next point.
- Energy: food is a source of energy for the body. Different foods give you different kinds of energy so while some foods can make you feel focused and ‘in the zone’, others can create energy highs and lows like for example, the 3pm slump. As a rule of thumb, the more natural or ‘whole’ the food, the better the energy. We wrote about this a bit more in our plant-based foods blog post here.
- Whole: And so the final point that whole foods, in their natural state will always win out over a packaged product, in every sense.
Healthy Snacks for the Office: Criteria
As usual, the iRaw approach is to keep things simple. Our goal is to make healthy living accessible, not difficult. And so, we took the following into consideration when deciding on our healthy snacks for the office ideas:
- Quick: If there’s preparation involved, it should be minimal.
- Simple but effective: Simplicity is important but not at the expense of the nutrient value. So we picked foods that still deliver a micro punch.
- Grab and Go: The food of choice should be easy to store in the office and/or eat on the go. While we advocate always trying to sit and relax around meal time, there is a practical reality too to consider.
- Protein balls: These take a little extra prep but once you make a big batch, you will have a stash for the week to split into little bags and take with you to work.
Healthy Snack For the Office: Make it Yourself
To start, let’s consider some items you can easily whip up yourself:
- Crudites: it doesn’t get easier than chopping up some veggies and/or fruit and digging in. If you’re on the go, just stick them in a ziplock bag. And if you need a little extra, add some hummus or salsa!
- Chia seed pudding: If you google, you will find endless recipes but the concept is simple. A few spoons of chia seeds, some non-dairy milk and that’s it. Add in chopped fruit, yogurt, flaxseeds, nuts, protein powder….anything you fancy! Let it sit for a few hours and grab a spoon.
- Overnight oats: Same idea as the chia seed pudding, this snack calls for mixing some oats with non-dairy milk and a little non-dairy yogurt (We love the Coconut Collaborative) and letting it all sit overnight in a jar. Mix in additional toppings of choice.
The Inbetweener: Crackers
This is such an underrated snack that many often forget but a selection of crackers with some healthy veggie options can hit just the spot. Making your own crackers, while very doable, can be tedious for those with a busy lifestyle. Also, while there are many types of cracker out there, a lot of these are very processed, not always compatible with your diet and often lacking any flavour.
Lucky we have a solution. It doesn’t get more natural than a raw, organic, vegan cracker. Plus it has superpowers.
I asked myself when creating these most delicious Sunshine in a Box crackers ‘What is Italy to me’? Sunshine no doubt …
The Sunshine in a Box are my homage to Italy. The reason for that is the flavour combination from the ingredients which are typical for the Italian Cuisine, as simple as that. As a vegan I have not had any issues finding food on my many travels to various places in Italy. Italy is so rich in food culture. What I found common almost everywhere is; garlic (tick), tomatoes (tick), peppers (tick), chilli (tick – although more apparent around Florence and central South Italy), sundried tomatoes (tick) and last but not least herbs tick tick tick!
Some topping ideas you might enjoy:
- Sliced tomato and basil
- Mashed Avocado and flaxseed
- Sunflower seed butter with coconut shavings
- Hummus and a sprinkle of fresh dill
And this week only (18-25th August), you can also grab these at a 10% discount. Head over here!
Stock up your desk drawer
I don’t think we realise how lucky we are today to be able to access such a range of healthy products that also suit every diet need imaginable. To celebrate our feature in the August Sourced Box (image credit below) here’s a few other notable mentions. They all make perfect healthy snacks for the office:
- iRaw has a full range of snacks but our kale crisps are also a perfect option any time of day. Choose from two flavours: Eastern and/or Peppery Kale
- Chewsy Gum: A healthy gum and it’s vegan friendly.
- Mighty Bee: Think coconut – coconut water + coconut meat + coconut jerky
- Gregory’s Tree: 100% Natural, 100% Organic, GM Free, Peanut Free, Kosher, Gluten Free, All Fruit, and nothing else, amazingly tasty snacks
- Ape Snacks: Different flavoured coconut crisps, perfect crisp alternative with a hint of sweet.
- The Protein Ball Co: protein balls with all-natural ingredients.
- Food Doctor: healthy & wholesome snack range including crisp alternatives, snack mixes and goodness bars.
- Hoogly Tea: Enjoy as a 5 minute break at work or even better in the evening to wind down after a stressful day. Guaranteed feelings of warmth, coziness and well-being.
So that’s our top picks for healthy snacks for the office. Head over to our Facebook page to let us know about any others we’ve missed!